four hundred twenty six

 I want to do it one more time....


The original purpose of this blog was to document my bicycle adventures. Over the years it has become a free flow of random subjects and thoughts. 

However the road is still calling. Everyday I walk past "Walter" my touring bicycle and dream about one more long coast to coast journey. I have not been riding regularly for years now but Walter sits with new tires, new chain, brake pads, new handle bar wrap and a few moderations. My camping gear has a few upgrades too, new tent, camp stove, sleeping pad and sleeping bag. 

The years have passed but there hasn't been the time. The dream is as strong as ever but I wonder if my body can still deliver.

Tomorrow I will turn 75. I have had a knee replacement but my other knee has some issues. My back was x-rayed lately and there was no damage but they did note "age related changes" which means I have an old man's back plus some arthritic. The only cure for arthritic is to keep moving so my morning ritual is to wait a half hour to an hour for my parts to start working.

I do have high blood pressure but it is controlled. I recently had a heart treadmill  stress test and my pipes are not clogged. I got the green light on unrestricted activity.

I still get that "you look good for your age". I would rather they stop at "you look good" but I know I think younger then a lot of young guys.  

My two coast to coast rides took two months but I don't have a time limit other then the seasons. Leaving in early spring and returning in the fall would give me four solid months. 

The haunting question I have is; will I get better as I ride day after day, week after week, or will my body break down? Before in my fifties I got tougher everyday. My body got leaner and meaner as I pounded out the miles. I could eat anything, sleep anywhere and ride in any weather. I had a few nagging issues but I worked around them. 

At 75 I should take it easy and start slower with fewer miles and more hotels. Rest days just made me anxious before even though I probably needed it. I was always afraid my body would just lock up if I stopped.

They say all sports are at least 50% mental, I agree. To take on a long trip with my body doing two things, one I do not recover as quickly so I need rest, good nutrition and proper sleep and two my body does not process oxygen the same. However I am very stubborn which comes with age, I'm banking that's enough. 

Why on earth would a 75 year old man want to do a solo trip on a peddle bicycle through mountain passes, deserts and busy cities? I still want to see what is over the horizon and around the next turn. I want to kill off a few more of my preconceived notions about people and places. 

I could do it for attention, ego or a cause. I will admit there might be a little personal ego but I try to minimize the attention. A few people know what I have done but they get more excited about what I did then I do. 

I think I have written enough to make a decision. It isn't a decision I'm making now it is one I made years ago. I doubt I could ever completely relax if I don't answer this question. 

I may be successful or It may be a failure but it needs to be done. I've thought about a few short trips but it just isn't the same. Like I said before at the end of the trip I'll either be a broken man or a bad ass. I'm leaning toward an old geezer bad ass. 

No matter how it plays out I will know the answer. Then I can finally be home and be relaxed. The wandering has been part of the journey to find my place, the place where I fit. I don't have to search for it anymore I know exactly where my place is. 

I'll write more about this in the future. Drop a comment if you want to cheer me on or call me an old fool. Either way I would love to hear from you.

(My back up plan is my motorcycle.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I WANT TO HEAR YOUR THOUGHTS AND STORIES.